May 14, 2021 - July 2, 2021
Ninth Street Women and Their LegacyView the Exhibition →
Ninth Street women & co.
June 25, 2021
The New Criterion, June 2021View the Article →
Melissa Meyer received both a BS and an MA from New York University. Her lengthy exhibition history includes solo exhibitions at Lennon, Weinberg, Inc., New York; Elizabeth Harris Gallery, New York; Rebecca Ibel Gallery, Columbus, Ohio; Holly Solomon Gallery, New York and Galerie Renee Ziegler, Zurich, Switzerland.
She has completed public commissions in New York, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Bishkek US Embassy in Kyrgyzstan. Her work is included in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Brooklyn Museum, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, The Jewish Museum and many other public and private collections across the United States. Meyer was awarded a Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome and has received grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Pollock Krasner Foundation and a fellowship from the Bogliasco Foundation. She is a frequent artist in residence at Yaddo in Saratoga Springs, New York as well as at the Vermont Studio Center.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
2019-2020 Melissa Meyer (catalogue – essay by Norman Kleeblatt; organized by Jay Grimm Art Advisory), 499 Park Ave, New York, NY
2018 New Paintings, Lennon Weinberg, Inc., New York, NY
2018 Hitting the Right Notes, Heather Gaudio Fine Art, New Canaan, CT
2018 Melissa Meyer: On Paper, Cross Contemporary, Saugerties, NY
2014 Recent Work, Lennon, Weinberg, Inc., New York, NY
2012 Paintings and Works on Paper, The Garrison Art Center, Garrison, NY
2011 New Paintings and Watercolor, Lennon, Weinberg, Inc., New York, NY
2009 New Paintings, Lennon, Weinberg, Inc., New York, NY
2009 Paintings, Nikola Rukaj Gallery, Toronto, CA
2009 New Works Featuring Lincoln Center Print Commission, Rebecca Ibel Gallery, Columbus, OH
2009 New Paintings, Jancar Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
2007-2008 Melissa Meyer 1975 – 2005: Paintings and Works on Paper, List Gallery, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA; traveling to Selby Gallery, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL (catalogue – essays by Robert Storr and David Cohen) in conjunction with McCabe Library exhibition, Swarthmore PA: Melissa Meyer: Sketchbooks, Artist’s Books, and Works on Paper
2006 Melissa Meyer in Black and White: Works on Paper, 1984 – 1994, New York Studio School, New York, NY: (catalogue essays by Lyle Rexer and David Cohen); traveling to Wiegand Gallery, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA
2006 Melissa Meyer: Color and the Cosmic Tree, The Philadelphia Museum of Jewish Art, Philadelphia, PA
2003 New Paintings, Elizabeth Harris Gallery (catalogue – essay by Meg Wolitzer), New York, NY
2003 Paintings and Watercolors, Chapman Friedman Gallery, Louisville, KY
2003 Melissa Meyer: Prints & Artist’s Books, Emily Davis Gallery, Myers School of Art, Akron, OH
2001 New Paintings, Elizabeth Harris Gallery (catalogue – essay by Mario Naves), New York, NY
2001 New Paintings, Rebecca Ibel Gallery (catalogue – essay by Allan Gurganus), Columbus, OH
2001 Paintings from the 1990s, 113 Crosby – Jill Platner, New York, NY
1998 Watercolors from the Archer Series, Ibel Simeonov Gallery, Columbus, OH
1997 Melissa Meyer: The Garner Tullis Project, Deven Golden Fine Art, New York, NY
1996 Holly Solomon Gallery, New York, NY
1996 Montgomery Glasoe Fine Art, Minneapolis, MN
1995 Watercolors and Monotypes, Allez les Filles, Columbus, OH
1994 Miller/Block Gallery, Boston, MA
1994 Galerie Renee Ziegler, Zurich
1993 Holly Solomon Gallery, New York, NY (catalogue)
1993 Recent Works on Paper, Ellen Miller Fine Art, Boston, MA
1988 J.L. Becker/East End Gallery, Provincetown, MA
1987 R.C. Erpf Gallery, New York, NY
1987 Leslie Cecil Gallery, New York, NY
1986 R.C. Erpf Gallery (catalogue – essay by Harry F. Gough), New York, NY
1985 Janet Steinberg Gallery, San Francisco, CA
1984 Exit Art (catalogue – essay by Stephen Westfall), New York, NY
1983 Douglas College, New Brunswick, NJ (catalogue)
1979 Frank Marino Gallery, New York, NY
1976 The Cornell Club of New York, NY
- Akers, Tony. “The New Abstraction: 8 Artists to Start Collecting Now,” Artspace, February 7, 2020.
- Butler, Sharon. “Melissa Meyer: Close Attention to Familiar Surroundings,” Two Coats of Paint, January 4, 2019
- Yau, John, “Melissa Meyer’s Urban Vision,” Hyperallergic, November 25, 2018
- Newhall, Edith. “Women in the Abstract,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, April 2, 2017
- Yau, John. “Conversations Can Be A Way of Moving Forward: Melissa Meyer’s Category-Resistant Abstractions,” Hyperallergic, 2016
- Rubin, Hannah, “A Manifesto for the Unsung Female Artist”, The Forward, April 10, 2015
- Smith, Roberta. “A Dealer’s Life and Eye”, The New York Times, January 16, 2014.
- Esplund, Lance. “The Lighthearted Abstract Expressionist,” The Wall Street Journal, February 20, 2009.
- Newhall, Edith. “New Signals from a Gestural Painter,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 14, 2007.
- Nichols, Matthew Guy, “Melissa Meyer at Elizabeth Harris,” Art in America, December 2005, p. 140-141.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, “Melissa Meyer at the Phila. Museum of Jewish Art,” Oct. 1, 2004, pp. W36.
- The New Yorker, “Melissa Meyer,” October 2, 2000. p.26.
- Esplund, Lance. “The Thankless Muse,” Modern Painters, Summer 1999, pp.74-77.
- Smith, Roberta. “Melissa Meyer: The Garner Tullis Project,” The New York Times, Friday, Dec.26, 1997.
- McQuaid, Cate. “Galleries: Melissa Meyer’s New Paintings,” The Boston Globe, October 31, 1996.
- Danto, Arthur C. “Art After the End of Art,” Artforum, April 1993, p.68.
- The New Yorker, “Melissa Meyer,” February 1, 1993, pp16-17.
- Quaroni, Grazia. “Le Donne Dell’Arte,” Marie Claire (Italian edition), October 1991, pp. 125-126.
- Cyphers, Peggy. “Abstract Redact,” Cover, January 1988.
- Smith, Roberta. “Recent Met Acquisitions Survey Work of the 80’s,” The New York Times, April 15, 1988.
- Brenson, Michael. “Melissa Meyer, R.C. Erpf Gallery,” The New York Times, December 4, 1987.
- Glueck, Grace. “Melissa Meyer, Exit Art,” The New York Times, November 30, 1984.
- Smith, Roberta. “Four Artists in Search of…” The Village Voice, December 11, 1984.
- Norman, Michael. “Under the Tall Pines, Yaddo…,” The New York Times, July 9, 1983.