Francis Coates Jones was the younger brother of the plein-air landscape painter Hugh Bolton Jones. Francis Jones decided to become a painter in 1876 after visiting the studio of the American painter Edwin Austin Abbey in London, and he spent the following year studying with his brother at the artists’ colony in Pont-Aven, Brittany. In 1878, he began to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris with Henri Lehmann; Jones continued his studies at the Académie Julian under Adolphe-William Bouguereau and Jules-Joseph Lefebvre.
He settled in New York in 1884 and achieved immediate success with his finely executed figure paintings. In 1885 he became an associate of the National Academy of Design and won the academy’s Thomas B. Clarke prize, and in 1894 he was elected a full academician. Around 1895 he took up mural painting and illustration in addition to oil painting. Jones was actively involved in the National Academy’s administration, and he was a trustee of The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Jones exhibited at the National Academy of Design, NY; Brooklyn Art Association, NY; Boston Art Club, MA; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, PA; Corcoran Gallery of Art, DC; and the Art Institute of Chicago, IL. His paintings can be found in the collections of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY; National Academy of Design, NY; the Brooklyn Museum, NY; Arnot Art Museum, NY; Museum of Fine Arts, MA; Peabody Institute, MD; National Museum of American History, D.C.; Richmond Art Museum, IN; Chicago Historical Society, IL; and the Glenbow Museum, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Selected Exhibitions with Somerville Manning Gallery
2012 American Masters – Art of the 19th and 20th Centuries